Sunday, October 25, 2009

Crock-Pot Cooking

Crock-pots, a busy woman's best friend. What other woman is busier than a MOM??! Crock-pots are great anytime of the year, but as the holidays and cooler weather approaches, crock-pots can help moms serve up some wonderful comfort food without missing any of the activities of this time of year.

During the next month, I will post some crock-pot recipes for you to try with your family. This first one came from my friend, Trish. I can't wait to go to the North Georgia mountains to get some apples to make this. I am thinking buttermilk biscuits, or even better, apple fritters! Oh, yum!!

CROCK POT APPLE BUTTER

Ingredients:
16 cups apples, peeled and diced (recipe says Granny Smiths, but all the orchards had something to say about which kind was best to use)
7 or 8 cups sugar
8 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

1. Peel and slice apples, add all ingredients to a crock pot.

2. Cook on low for 14 hours or more, stirring occasionally to make sure the sides don't burn.

3. When it starts to look like dark apple butter, blenderize it in batches to help it along, then return it to the crock pot to finish cooking. It may be slightly watery, that's fine.

4. Freeze in in freezer bags or can it in jars with your canner. If you can it, can it while hot following manufacturer's directions.

5. Makes about 3 pint jars and a small one to stick in your fridge and use immediately with hot biscuits!

Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a very blessed SAHM. I am blessed with an abundant amount of grace from my Creator and Savior. He has blessed me with an amazing man as my life long best friend, husband and father of our two precious gifts of energy and life. My days are full with the activities of homekeeping, and the joys and adventures of two healthy and energetic kiddos. I am basking in His grace daily.