Thursday, August 27, 2009

Planet Mom

We waited so long to have children, not by our own plans I might add. But when we found out that we were expecting our first baby in 2003 we were in orbit! Stars were in our eyes and we were over the moon in love with the life growing inside my growing tummy. We just couldn't wait to actually hold our little girl! We knew life would change for us. We were ready to embrace those changes- no longer could we spontaneously jump in the car and go off for the weekend, the extra equipment and baby paraphernalia would take over the house, etc. But what we didn't realize that becoming parents would send us to a totally different world or planet.
For me, the mission began immediately as changes in hormones and body became very evident. I literally become a different person, an alien to our myself even. For where I used to be able to spend time exercising, taking leisurely bubble baths, read a novel and have adult conversations, I now was not able to bend over to tie my shoes or shave, getting in and out of tubs was more exercise than I cared to admit, reading a novel was a sure fire way to put myself to sleep and conversation? What were we talking about? You know, the thingamajig.... Mothering....Oh, yeah! Something took possession of my brain and my heart and they have never been the same.

But even after birth, which was marvelous and scary all at the same time and another post topic, my world continued to change. Not just the lack of sleep, worrying and fretting over the baby's well-being, but also, the changes in my relationships with my darling hubby, my family, and my friends. Changes in the amount of time and thought I put into myself changed. Changes in the time I spent doing the things I enjoyed like scrap booking, reading, cross-stitching, ministry, etc. all changed. Relationships revolved around my baby. The baby number 2 arrived in 2005. You know the book, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus - well, it is true from the get-go! Baby and Toddler became my world. They were the center of my universe and I was theirs. You know, over the last 6 years, lots of changes have continued to take place as we explore and discover more about this planet called Mothering. I continue to evolve and revolve around my kids' development. Sometimes I am the heroic moon walker - leading my kids to new worlds and sometimes I am the 3-eyed, green alien that is really scary, to myself mostly. You see, I haven't been able to totally decode the manual about relationships as a mom. I, too often, over commit myself to things that distract me from my kids and husband. I long to be seeing stars again when I encounter the meteor showers in life and to enjoy the creatures that orbit beside me in life. Rather it be girlfriends, in-laws, children, husband or even myself, I know that the Commander of my mission is Christ. As long as I wait upon Him and use His words as my mission manual, this mission will be a success. Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:13) I have been so blessed with an amazing and awesome crew, my family and friends, and I am promised that I don't have to go it alone, for the Bright and Morning Star, Jesus, is with me- He is my guide as I navigate through life and changing relationships. But I must keep my eyes, my coordinates on Him. This is no easy task, I admit. I endeavor to follow Him in this mission.
Where two or three are gathered in My (Jesus') name, I (Jesus) am with them. Matthew 18:20-
So are you ready to blast off and explore the amazing worlds of Planet Mom? Let's do life Together on Planet Mom! 3-2-1- Blast Off!!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a very blessed SAHM. I am blessed with an abundant amount of grace from my Creator and Savior. He has blessed me with an amazing man as my life long best friend, husband and father of our two precious gifts of energy and life. My days are full with the activities of homekeeping, and the joys and adventures of two healthy and energetic kiddos. I am basking in His grace daily.