Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tips for Cold Season

As the weather turns cooler and we are more indoors then normal, colds are very likely. Some advice from a speech therapist concerning battling coughs and sore throats might ease the discomfort.

One thing that will likely help is a personal steamer. It's a lot like sitting over a boiling pot on the stove, but you don't have to lean over the stove. They are about $25 at most drug stores.

Next is this gargle:
8 oz hot water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp honey (or corn syrup)

Gargle it as much as you can stand it. It will help clean the infection out of your throat and coat it with a layer of moisture, which is what your throat really needs to beat the cough!

One final thing is a product by Vick's called Shower Soothers.

Of course, be diligent about washing and sanitizing hands and covering mouth and nose when sneezing and coughing followed by more hand washing.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a very blessed SAHM. I am blessed with an abundant amount of grace from my Creator and Savior. He has blessed me with an amazing man as my life long best friend, husband and father of our two precious gifts of energy and life. My days are full with the activities of homekeeping, and the joys and adventures of two healthy and energetic kiddos. I am basking in His grace daily.