Monday, September 22, 2008

Coffee and Chat

Coffee-- It is one smell from my childhood that reminds me of weekend and summer mornings at my grandparents' house. It was my Nanny that gave me my first cup of coffee - probably around the age of 4! Of course, it was mostly milk, but it was so comforting sitting at the big kitchen table drinking that warm sweet drink with my grandparents and just chatting about things that were important to a little girl.
As I grew up, coffee was a welcoming smell in a restaurant or someone's home. It triggered those feelings of welcome and acceptance, even if I didn't drink a cup. It was just a wonderful smell. When I traveled to Europe and The Republic of Georgia, coffee was the one drink you could count on consistently being available. Being so far from home, the warm cup and that aroma made me feel like I was in a place where I was welcomed. It was during one of these trips that I became a true coffee drinker. Now I can't function properly without at least 2 cups in the morning.
Coffee has become the "dates" my husband and I enjoy most often. Sipping a cup outside on the swing while looking at the stars and talking about the day or the kids or whatever. Again it is that comfort of knowing I am welcomed and accepted.
It doesn't matter where the coffee is served, abroad or in someone's home across the street, it always says the same thing: friendship and warmth. You are welcome here.
I enjoy the mornings when the mommies can get together for our coffee and chats. It doesn't matter if it is at one of our homes or at a local fast food restaurant with a playground for the kids. It is a nice time to slow down and just linger over a cup of warm drink that with its aroma simply says, "Welcome, friend."

I hope you enjoy the following recipe:

Coffee Mallow Parfait
24 regular-sized marshmallows (about 3 cups)
1 cup double-strength coffee
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1/2 cup chocolate cookie crumbs

In a medium pan, combine the marshmallows, and the coffee. Cook and stir over medium heat until the marshmallows melt. Chill until partially set. Fold the whipped cream into the marshmallow mixture. Chill again until partially reset. In parfait glasses, start with the coffee/marshmallow mixture and layer the mixture with the cookie crumbs so that there are at least 3 layers of cookie crumbs. Top with the coffee/marshmallow mixture. Chill again till serving. Just before serving, add a dollop of whipped cream. Garnish, if desired, with a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and top with a large shave of chocolate or an Andes Mint candy.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a very blessed SAHM. I am blessed with an abundant amount of grace from my Creator and Savior. He has blessed me with an amazing man as my life long best friend, husband and father of our two precious gifts of energy and life. My days are full with the activities of homekeeping, and the joys and adventures of two healthy and energetic kiddos. I am basking in His grace daily.